Re: Is it possible to copy one db to another if the SID is different

From: <helpdesk.hcl_at_bplmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 00:48:26 -0800

Hi,

Please use SET in create controlfile statement if you are going to change the DB Name.

CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE SET DATABASE "TEST" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG thnx
Venkat

                      ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.
                      com                      To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                      Sent by:                  <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      root_at_fatcity.com         cc:
                                               Subject:  Is it possible to copy one db to another if the
                                                SID is different
                      10/09/02 12:43 PM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Hi,

Qn : Is it possible to copy one database to another if the source database name is different from the target database name ?

I need to clone Oracle Applications 11I from one machine (source instance:PROD) to another (target instance:TEST). I followed the instructions on Metalink doc 135792.1 "Cloning Oracle Applications Release 11I". Everything works fine until I re-create the controlfile in the target instance.

In svrmgrl =>
STARTUP NOMOUNT
CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "TEST" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG     MAXLOGFILES 16
    MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
    MAXDATAFILES 500
    MAXINSTANCES 1
    MAXLOGHISTORY 453
LOGFILE
  GROUP 1 (
    '/dg3/oracle/testredo/log01a.dbf',
    '/dg4/oracle/testredo/log01b.dbf'
  ) SIZE 10M
DATAFILE
'/dg7/oracle/testdata/system01.dbf',
'/dg7/oracle/testdata/system02.dbf',

'/dg8/oracle/testdata/ctxd01.dbf',

CHARACTER SET US7ASCII
CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "TEST" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG *
ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
ORA-01161: database name PROD in file header does not match given name of TEST Any advice ? Thanks. (Please reply to clchan_at_nie.edu.sg)

Regds,
New Bee

Author: CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)
  INET: clchan_at_nie.edu.sg