Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid
HOME | ASK QUESTION | ADD INFO | SEARCH | E-MAIL US
 

Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> Re: BACKUP database question

Re: BACKUP database question

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:18:48 -0800
Message-ID: <F001.004E2B67.20021007121848@fatcity.com>


You can do incremental backups without a recovery catalog repository (i.e. "nocatalog" mode). In Oracle8i, there are only a few situations where a recovery catalog database repository is necessary -- mostly for certain catalog maintenance routines (i.e. "change ... delete", "change .. obsolete", etc). All of the options for backup, restore, and recovery are available whether you use a recovery catalog repository or not. Of course, there are good reasons for using a recovery catalog, but it is a long way from being a requirement, and additional Oracle9i features continue to whittle away at that...

...you can also do incremental backups when the target database itself is in "noarchivelog" mode, which surprised me initially, but has proven quite useful...

> Without a repository, you can't do incremental backups. You lose a lot
of
> the functionality of rman. Have a look at the 8.1.7 Backup and Recovery
> Guide. It should give you some insights that you can pass on to the
powers
> that be.
>
> Being a quasi-state agency they should be glad because rman is free. You
> already have it.
>
> Ruth
> ----- Original Message -----
> To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 4:48 PM
>
>
> Thanks, Tom and Ruth and others yet to reply,
> We to are a quasi-state agency but the Oracle licensing is under a
> state controlled agency and must be purchased from them. If I use my
> Linux/8i test platform for company business then I must purchase a
> license. Although a 10 named license is not that expensive, I still have
> to get it past the Sr.VP (also SR.VP of finance - a CPA) Like a snowball
> in hel*.
> There is some risk envolved with the disk farm concept for both boxes
> but I think that is the way I will have to go. I will create a rman test
> repository on my Linux box and get the bugs worked out before I deploy
> to the production environment. Of course I could use the "non"
> repository method with the controlfile entries and not have to worry
> about a database.
> Thanks,
> I'm still investigating.
> Ron
>
> >>> rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us 10/04/02 03:58PM >>>
> I have a small database on a separate disk which holds my recovery
> catalog.
> I would like to have it on a separate server but that won't happen. I
> have
> used the same recovery catalog for 4 years and it is onlyu ~88MB.
>
> Ruth
> ----- Original Message -----
> To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 2:31 PM
>
>
> List,
> With all of the recent discussion and the forth coming books and the
> upgrade here to 8i I have a question.
> Where do you build your RMAN repository database?
> If you build it in the same server as the one you are backing up then
> you risk the loss of everything in the event of a disk farm failure.
> If you created a separate server to hold the RMAN repository does it
> require a separate license for the oracle running on the server?
> We have a "clustered " environment with a disk farm and 2 Alpha boxes.
> One box will be Production and the other will be Development and they
> share the disk farm. If I use RMAN to backup the production box and
> keep
> it in the development database I still have all of my eggs in one disk
> farm. If I create a separate server on a Linux pc I need a license for
> the Oracle database on the pc.
> What methods have you used at your work location and I do not care
> about your licensing agreements.
> Ron
> ROR mm
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Ron Rogers
> INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org
>
> Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
> San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
> to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
> the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
> (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may
> also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
>
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Ruth Gramolini
> INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us
>
> Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
> San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
> to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
> the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
> (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may
> also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Ron Rogers
> INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org
>
> Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
> San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
> to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
> the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
> (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may
> also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
>
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Ruth Gramolini
> INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us
>
> Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
> San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
> to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
> the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
> (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may
> also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

-- 
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com
-- 
Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may
also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Received on Mon Oct 07 2002 - 15:18:48 CDT

Original text of this message

HOME | ASK QUESTION | ADD INFO | SEARCH | E-MAIL US