Re: RMAN and Disk Space

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 17:48:34 -0800

Yeah, Tim. You nailed it. Data was indeed purged from this tablespace.

Thanks once again
Raj

                    "Tim Gorman"
                    <Tim_at_SageLogi        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    x.com>               cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: RMAN and Disk Space
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    October 04,
                    2002 07:05 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

A "full backup" in RMAN backs up all database blocks that have ever been used by the datafiles. A "backup incremental level = 0" backs up only the database blocks currently in use in datafiles. A "copy" in RMAN copies all blocks allocated to the datafile, thus creating a complete backup image that
can be restored by utilities other than RMAN.

Is it possible that the current status shown in DBA_EXTENTS (i.e. 2.2Gb) does not represent a "highwater mark" in terms of space consumption in that tablespace? Is it possible that most of the 15Gb of space in that tablespace (at least, more than 9Gb worth) was previously in use?

What kind of results do you get from doing an "incremental level = 0" instead?

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com

  INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com