Re: How to get rid of a column default value ?

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:38:27 -0800

Louis,
 I still have not convinced myself that we have the proper answer. If you query the DBA_TAB_COLUMNS table DATA_DEFAULT column you will see that the original NON default created column has a null or blank as the value for the data_default column. If the default is set to NULL then the word NULL appears as the data_default value for the column. What if the column was a char(4) column then it would default to the value"NULL" which is not the same as blank or nothing. Still digging for an answer.
Ron
ROR mô¿ôm

>>> Louis_Brouillette_at_UQTR.CA 10/04/02 03:21PM >>>
Thanks Dale, Michael and Ron.

The "default null" is what I thought about first and it almost does the

job. It's just that it appears like there is a default value which is

null. If I don't include the DEFAULT clause, it does nothing. I think

I'll have to live with the "default null".

At 08:29 2002-10-04 -0800, you wrote:
>Louis,
> I believe it is the ALTER TABLE command.
>ALTER TABLE name
>MODIFY ( column datatype);
>match the column name and the datatype but do not include the DEFAULT
>clause .
>Ron
>ROR mª¿ªm

>Anyone knows how to get rid of a column default value ? I rtfm and
>search
>metalink with no luck.

Louis Brouillette
Analyste en informatique (DBA)