Re: SqlServer - Oracle transfer issues

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 09:24:08 -0800

Possibilities:

Prebuild the table with the datatype you want. i.e. varchar2, provided the text column from SQL server is <= 4000 bytes. ( notice I said 'bytes', not 'characters' . No, it wasn't because most of this mail list is made up of characters. )

Prebuild the table with a LONG datatype, and use PL/SQL to do the selects and inserts. I can't recall at the moment which function to use to read chunks of LONGs. Maybe someone else can recall.

I always manipulate LONGs from Perl, much easier.

Jared

Luc Demanche <luckyref_at_yahoo.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 10/04/2002 09:18 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        SqlServer - Oracle transfer issues

Hi gurus,
I need to transfer a few tables from SqlServer to Oracle. I've installed Heteroegous Service between the SqlServer and our Oracle database according to the Metalink doc no : 109730.1

I began the transfer between those two databases with this kind of statement :
create table TableA as select * from TableA_at_hsodbc;

But now I have a problem with the tables on the SqlServer side that contain columns of the Text datatype. Oracle wants to handle it as a LONG datatype. I received this kind of errors :

ORA-00997 : illegal use of LONG database

What should I do ?

TIA Luc

Luc Demanche
luckyref_at_yahoo.com

Do you Yahoo!?
New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo! http://sbc.yahoo.com

Author: Luc Demanche
  INET: luckyref_at_yahoo.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 04 2002 - 12:24:08 CDT