Re: Backups

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:48:48 -0800

Oracle 6 and prior releases required cold backups. Hot backups became available in version 7. The trend appears RMAN is the new way! Still waiting for Robert Freeman's new book :).

Gene

>>> stellr_at_cns.vt.edu 10/04/02 10:03AM >>>

One of the local dbas said to me recently that Oracle docs indicate that cold backups are required. I did a search and could not find what he was talking about. Anyone got such a reference?

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:38:20PM -0800, Jared Still wrote:

> OK, Gene, you asked for it. :)
>
> The context of your message suggests that a hot backup is
> somehow more likely to be corrupted than a cold one.
>
> I hate to resurrect an old flame war, but...
>
> No, I take it back. I don't hate it a bit. ;)
>
> There aren't many occasions that call for a cold backup.
>
> I'm just curious what you believe a cold backup is buying
> you that a hot backup won't deliver.
>
> Jared
>
> On Thursday 03 October 2002 14:54, Gene Sais wrote:
> > wow, never a cold backup for any os,oracle, application upgrades? i prefer
> > to shutdown everything, backup the filesystems, let the vendor have his
> > way. if he screws up, its much easier to restore a complete filesystem
> > than a corrupted database. cold backups are a good thing. i sleep good at
> > nite :) soon, rman will be another backup method in my toolbox. but when
> > that happens, i can see hot backups going away but cold backups will still
> > be needed on occassion.

> > I don't do them either, 4.5 years here. Ruth

Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us