Re: Backups

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 06:28:28 -0800

lol, OK my reasons for occasional cold backups. As a prior sysadmin, I prefer single user mode full filesystem backups (i.e. databases shut down) prior to any upgrade whether its an application, database, or operating system. There are benefits of cold over hot backups (of course this assumes you have the luxury to take a database offline):

  1. Archive logs not needed.
  2. No need to be concerned which databases are in archivelog mode.
  3. Easier to backup and restore, even the sysadmin can do it :), i.e. no DBA required, no database recovery. OS utilities can be used for backup/restore.
  4. Old habits are hard to break :).

Gene

>>> jkstill_at_cybcon.com 10/04/02 01:38AM >>>

OK, Gene, you asked for it. :)

The context of your message suggests that a hot backup is somehow more likely to be corrupted than a cold one.

I hate to resurrect an old flame war, but...

No, I take it back. I don't hate it a bit. ;)

There aren't many occasions that call for a cold backup.

I'm just curious what you believe a cold backup is buying you that a hot backup won't deliver.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

Author: Gene Sais