Multiple Oracle Homes for Oracle

From: Shantanu Datta <shantanu.datta_at_hurix.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 05:08:25 -0800

Hi All,

        I am not very clear on how the Multiple Oracle Homes' concept works. Does one need an ORALE_HOME and ORACLE_SID environment veriable with appropriate values ONLY when starting the DB instance, or launching an application that uses these variables? Are these environment variables not accessed after that?

To make my question clear, say, I need to start a database having SID = 'db1'.

I do a $ export ORACLE_SID=db1 and export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9201 and then connect to sqlplus and start the database. (FYI: Oracle on Linux)

after this, if I unset the 2 environment variables or set them to some other garbage value, will anything go wrong?

Cheers,
Shantanu.

Author: Shantanu Datta
  INET: shantanu.datta_at_hurix.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 04 2002 - 08:08:25 CDT