RE: RE: Backups

From: Markham, Richard <RMarkham_at_hafeleamericas.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:53:36 -0800

Yes I personally run Veritas Netbackup for both cold and RMAN. A fiber SAN has its added benefits as well =). I have never really explored the implications of these other utilities. My head filled with many distasteful visuals. Yes, I agree with you and I realize that I am spoiled <knocking on wood>.

Author: "Markham; Richard" <RMarkham_at_hafeleamericas.com>
Date:       10/3/2002 10:03 AM

It would be interesting to see how you would explain how either cp or dd (which know nothing of archive log mode, or the concept of hot backup, itself, none the less) is going to keep things consistent, when these utilities themselves are for point in time operations.

Author: Robyn Anderson Sands
  INET: Robyn_at_iTeamTech.com

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

Author: Ruth Gramolini
  INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us

Author: John Weatherman
  INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: Backups</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>It would be interesting to see how you would explain how either</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>cp or dd (which know nothing of archive log mode, or the concept</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>of hot backup, itself, none the less) is going to keep things</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>consistent, when these utilities themselves are for point in

</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>time operations.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: John Weatherman [<A HREF="mailto:john.weatherman_at_replacements.com">mailto:john.weatherman_at_replac emen
ts.com</A>]</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 12:18 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: RE: Backups</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>This doesn't sound right.&nbsp; Put the database in hot backup
mode,</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>backup (whether using cp to a staging point like the poster
here</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>is doing or straight to tape using dd or dump or some other
utility),</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>come out of hot backup mode.&nbsp; Why wouldn't you be able to
recover? </FONT>
</P>
<P><FONT SIZE=2>John P Weatherman</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Database Administrator</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Replacements Ltd.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 10:18 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>If you want to be able to use any OS backup for restore/recovery
that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>database must be closed when you do the backup.&nbsp; If it is
not, you won't be</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>able to recover.</FONT> </P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Just a thot,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Ruth</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>----- Original Message -----</FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: &quot;Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L&quot; &lt;ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com&gt;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 9:08 AM</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Robyn,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp;We used the DD method on pre 7.1 oracle with RAW devices.
It worked</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>fine except that it&nbsp; used a lot of tape dumping a raw device when only a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>small portion was used. Using a dd command to place a copy of
the data</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>on tape should not be a problem if a restoral is needed. The dd
function</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>is just another OS method of copying data to a tape. I don't
know for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>sure but I think there might be some issues about transportability of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the dd tape.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Other users will know about the transportability issues.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Ron</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp;ROR mª¿ªm</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>&gt;&gt;&gt; Robyn_at_iTeamTech.com 10/02/02 08:08PM &gt;&gt;&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Hello,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I need some info about backups.&nbsp; I am working on a customer
site, and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>have implemented both exports and hot backups.&nbsp; Both jobs
copy to a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>separate mount point, and a job scripted by another individual
then</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>moves the files to tape.</FONT> </P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Here's the problem - he's using a dd command, primarily because
it</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>provides a succinct output he can email to non-technicals.&nbsp; The file</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>system is built on a 12 disk A1000 array.&nbsp; We've provided
him with a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>ufsdump script, but he's doesn't want to use it. Can the system
be</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>recovered from this tape?&nbsp; Has anyone ever relied on a dd
for a daily</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>backup method? The system is Oracle 9i on Solaris 8.</FONT> </P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Robyn</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>--</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A HREF="http://www.orafaq.com"
TARGET="_blank">http://www.orafaq.com</A></FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>--</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Author: Robyn Anderson Sands</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; INET: Robyn_at_iTeamTech.com</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Fat City Network Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- 858-538-5051 <A
HREF="http://www.fatcity.com"
TARGET="_blank">http://www.fatcity.com</A></FONT> <BR><FONT SIZE=2>San Diego,
California&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
-- Mailing list and web hosting services</FONT>
<BR><FONT

SIZE=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------
</FO

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru')
and in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).&nbsp; You may</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>--</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A HREF="http://www.orafaq.com"
TARGET="_blank">http://www.orafaq.com</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>--</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Author: Ron Rogers</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org</FONT>
[...]

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Author: Ruth Gramolini</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us</FONT>
[...]

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Author: John Weatherman</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com</FONT>
[...]

</BODY>
</HTML>

Author: Markham, Richard
  INET: RMarkham_at_hafeleamericas.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 03 2002 - 13:53:36 CDT