Re: Data modeling question about reference table

From: John Thomas <oracle_at_toronto.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:23:45 -0800

Stephane,

Sounds like you know the answer really.

If your reference tables are all like (CODE, VALUE) or similar, and they are pretty static values, why not move them all into one table? Probably gives you performance advantages and maybe code reuse:

SELECT value
FROM ref_values
WHERE code = :bind_value

Instead of:

SELECT value
FROM <code_table_name>
WHERE code = '<code>'

Whether its really worth the bother depends upon your precise requirements, data volumes etc though. (Could be that most of the reference tables are not used much. By caching the few that are used, you can get great performance without indexes... like I say, just depends.)

Cheers,

John Thomas

In message <F001.004DE542.20021002082340_at_fatcity.com>, paquette stephane <stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com> writes
>Hi,
>
>We're discussing on reference table.
>One containing everything (using a type) or one per
>entity. We'll have a lot of entities.
>
>This is for a staging area where data will be validate
>before going in Siebel. In theory, this staging will
>become a very big staging for a datarehouse and still
>in theory there is no plan yet that that staging will
>be available to the users as an ODS.
>
>What do you think ?
>
>=====
>Stéphane Paquette
>DBA Oracle, consultant entrepôt de données
>Oracle DBA, datawarehouse consultant
>stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

John Thomas                                     Tel:    01506 881 037
Oracle Contract DBA                             Mobile: 07986 182 368
Author: John Thomas
  INET: oracle_at_toronto.demon.co.uk