RE: Performance monitoring - mostly: further derailment

From: Inka Bezdziecka <IBezdziecka_at_cupe.ca>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:48:38 -0800

Thank you Rachel.

Jared,
here is what I meant:

select

       100 * (a.value + b.value - c.value)
	 / (a.value + b.value)
from v$sysstat a,
     v$sysstat b,
     v$sysstat c,
     v$sysstat d
where a.statistic# = 37 and /* db block gets */
      b.statistic# = 38 and /* consistent gets */
      c.statistic# = 39 and /* physical gets */
      d.statistic# = 40  /* physical writes  */ ;

It had been for years "the most important thing to measure" - if the number was over 80%, everyone was happy. If I remember correctly, Oracle Education Services taught it at the advanced level of dba courses.

If anyone remembers the beginning of this tread, the issue at hand is not how to measure performance, but what are the 10 metrics one can measure. After the first note or so, there was still a plea for "the list".

To add to a discussion, which derailed from the original plea for "the list": Good or bad performance has very little to do with ratios, numbers, importance of transactions (by the way: from whose point of view?) Well performing system is such, that allows ALL supported by it business functions to achieve their objectives for the less possible amount of money. If a program, which produces monthly report for shareholders is poorly written from the art of programming point of view, creates a report formatted as per specifications, including colours, ready to be delivered on time - the system is performing well. Even if that program runs 5 hours except 5 minutes, as long as it is not in a way of anything else. Computers are expensive, useless gadgets when they are not working. In addition, managers are neither educated in technical nuances nor need to be. Somebody, maybe another dba, or an editor of an in-flight magazine has written somewhere that there are ten Oracle database parameters that should be measured. So, to keep all parties happy, one should produce "the list", meet with users to find out what is not performing up to their expectations. When this is known, use both, common sense and "the list" to find out what and how can be changed. If anything, because many times the only acceptable to the business solution is: "learn to like it".

Amen.
grandma inka

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com