Re: Backups

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 06:18:24 -0800

If you want to be able to use any OS backup for restore/recovery that database must be closed when you do the backup. If it is not, you won't be able to recover.

Just a thot,
Ruth

Robyn,
 We used the DD method on pre 7.1 oracle with RAW devices. It worked fine except that it used a lot of tape dumping a raw device when only a small portion was used. Using a dd command to place a copy of the data on tape should not be a problem if a restoral is needed. The dd function is just another OS method of copying data to a tape. I don't know for sure but I think there might be some issues about transportability of the dd tape.
Other users will know about the transportability issues. Ron
 ROR mª¿ªm

>>> Robyn_at_iTeamTech.com 10/02/02 08:08PM >>>
Hello,

I need some info about backups. I am working on a customer site, and have implemented both exports and hot backups. Both jobs copy to a separate mount point, and a job scripted by another individual then moves the files to tape.

Here's the problem - he's using a dd command, primarily because it provides a succinct output he can email to non-technicals. The file system is built on a 12 disk A1000 array. We've provided him with a ufsdump script, but he's doesn't want to use it. Can the system be recovered from this tape? Has anyone ever relied on a dd for a daily backup method? The system is Oracle 9i on Solaris 8.

Robyn

Author: Robyn Anderson Sands
  INET: Robyn_at_iTeamTech.com

Author: Ron Rogers