Re: Backups

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:13:22 -0800

I've relied on "dd", mainly when working with "raw" devices. "dd" is probably one of the oldest commands in the UNIX lexicon. It's just another way to get the job done...

<soapbox rant>
RMAN is a *much* better solution. After all, how are these exports, backup scripts, and what-not going to check the database for block corruption? For archived redo logfile corruption? How will someone be able to determine how many backups are on tape for each datafile and archived redo logfile? Can you do trial restores, to test what's on tape? Will any restore/recovery scenarios be scripted?
</soapbox rant>

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com