Re: svrmgrl echo v$database in script

From: Ron Thomas <rthomas_at_hypercom.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 16:33:21 -0800

Sounds like you svrmgrl commands are in a "where document". You need to escape the $, ie

select name from v\$database ;

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
rthomas_at_hypercom.com
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -- Kernighan

                      root_at_fatcity.com
                                               To:       ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
                      10/02/02 04:28 PM        cc:
                      Please respond to        Subject:  svrmgrl echo v$database in script
                      ORACLE-L

Oracle 8.0.5
Solaris 2.6

List:
I've created a script (ksh) called from elsewhere that shuts down the database. I REALLY want to echo the name of the database into my log file before I shut down. While "select name from v$database" works fine from svrmgrl interactively, it throws up in the script. I'd guess the $ sign is screwing it up. (I can get other commands to work within the script.) However, I don't know what to do about it.

Any ideas?

Thx!!!

Barb

$ svrmgrl

SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.
SVRMGR> select name from v$database;
NAME

TADENT
1 row selected.
#!/usr/bin/ksh

# $Id: stop_db.sh ver.1 10/02/2002 B.Baker Exp $
# Name: stop_db.sh
# Author: Barb Baker
# Purpose: execute shutdown immediate on current database
# (i.e., database pointed to by current value of ORACLE_SID)
############################################################ echo "Stop oracle instance \"${ORACLE_SID}\" at `date` " ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/svrmgrl << EOF connect internal select name from v_$database; EOF

$ ./stop_db.sh
Stop oracle instance "tadent" at Wed Oct 2 16:24:59 MDT 2002

SVRMGR> Connected.

SVRMGR>                    select name from v_
                      *

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
SVRMGR>
Server Manager complete.
Author: Baker, Barbara
  INET: bbaker_at_denvernewspaperagency.com

Author: Ron Thomas
  INET: rthomas_at_hypercom.com