Strange performance problem

From: Scott Canaan <>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:33:28 -0800

    I got a call from a customer earlier. He said that he was trying to run a query and it was taking way too long. He ran the same query last Friday and it came back in seconds. I looked at it in OEM and noticed that two of the tables were being accessed by full table scans. These tables have 22,000+ and 24,000+ rows each. I took the sql from OEM and ran it in a svrmgrl session (connected internal), and it came back in seconds. His still hadn't come back.

    To further complicate things, I connected as the owner of the tables
(the same user he was using) and ran the query again. This time, I
ended up killing it after 10 minutes. I'm confused as to what can cause such a difference in performance from sys to another user. The server did crash sometime over the weekend. He said that it was fine before the crash. I ran a dbverify on all of the data files and came up with nothing.

The vitals are:

    Digital Unix V4.0F (Rev. 1229)

    Unfortunately, upgrading Oracle isn't an option because the processor is too old. Oracle won't support it on any versions higher than 8.1.6. A patchset may be possible, though.

Thank you.

Scott Canaan (

(585) 475-7886
"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer. -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: -- Author: Scott Canaan INET: Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L