RE: extremely long parse time

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:38:55 -0800

Hmmmm, also running on 8.1.7.2 on HPUX 11, this comes back to me sub-second. My explain plan pukes in TOAD, but that's a TOAD issue...everything looks good in SQL*Plus.

  1. Are you using CBO?
  2. If "yes" from 1, verify that there are no stats gathered in SYS.
  3. Try init.ora "optimizer_max_permutations = 2000". The default is "80000" in 8 and 8i and "2000" in 9i. Aside from cursor_sharing=force, that's the only parameter I have that I think could affect parse times that severely.

I also have:

	optimizer_index_caching = 90
	optimizer_index_cost_adj = 50

in my init.ora, in case those might also somehow affect parse time. I wouldn't think it would in this case, since these should be CBO-only and there shouldn't be stats on the data dictionary.

HTH! GL! :)

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com