RE: NETIQ monitoring tool for server and Oracle

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:53:22 -0800

Yes, we use it for our Winders/Linux/Solaris/HPUX boxes. It's actually used by our parent company, which also does our networking, MS sExchange administration, and Windows server admin. I'm on the mailing list for when server in our building isn't pingable.

Unlike OEM, I've had no problems with NetIQ actually contacting me. OEM (from v2.x thru 9iR2) has been flaky at best. Sometimes it pages me, sometimes not. Sometimes it e-mails me, sometimes not. There's no rhyme nor reason as to why, and I've not been able to find out why. NetIQ on the other hand, hasn't missed a beat.

I don't know if NetIQ can do any Oracle monitoring (Corporate doesn't use it here if it is possible), so OEM may have some advantages there. For my money, I'd be inclined to install a custom app to take the place of OEM. Hmmm...seems to me that someone here on this very list has just published a book that has a chapter on a DB tool that can be used to monitor Oracle databases using something called "Perl". Only problem is that you'd REALLY need to buy the book... ;)

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleperl/

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com