RE: DBA place in the business

From: O'Neill, Sean <Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 05:13:19 -0800

Hi Peter,

FWIW, in our org (pharmaceutical manufacturing) the DBA role sits in the Information Technology section of the Business Systems & Information Technology Department. Senior DBA reports to IT Manager who in turn reports to Chief Information Officer (CIO). The CIO is a senior manager who reports to the the General Manager.

I have quite a detailed formal job description for the DBA role too. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

Seán O' Neill
Organon (Ireland) Ltd.
[subscribed: digest mode]

>> From: "Robson, Peter" <pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk>
>> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:18:13 +0100
>> Subject: DBA place in the business (was RE: DBA work load)
>>
>>I've found the thread on DBA workload valuable and interesting. It
endorses
>>points made repeatedly over the past years, basically the highly variable
>>nature of the job.
>>
>>This variability is giving us a small problem. Our dba work (shared
between
>>two of us) tends to function in the background, and of course because we
do
>>it so damn well (!!), our impact on the running of the organisation is
>>pretty low. Kind of 'reverse exception' effect, if you will.
>>
>>There is now a desire to formalise the role of the dba function within the
>>organisation, and nobody has the first idea of how to define, in an
>>organisational / structural sense just how the dba role slots in. I'm
>>talking about organsiational charts, herarchies etc, that sort of thing.
Not
>>just across the org, but particularly within the IT domain too.
>>Specifically, dba impacts from the low-level hardware side, right up to
>>application development, with everything in between. And that already
spans
>>several existing lines of management responsibility. Our problem has added
>>spice as we are (trying) to operate a matrix management system, which
>>repeatedly throws up intriguing political dimensions.
>>
>>Anybody ever been down this particular route?
>>
>>Any thoughts much appreciated,
>>
>>peter
>>edinburgh

This message, including attached files, may contain confidential information and is intended only for the use by the individual and/or the entity to which it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, dissemination of, or copying of the information contained herein is not allowed and may lead to irreparable harm and damage for which you may be held liable. If you receive this message in error or if it is intended for someone else please notify the sender by returning this e-mail immediately and delete the message.
Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie