RE: RAC (Real Application Clusters)

From: Loughmiller, Greg <Greg.Loughmiller_at_cingular.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 04:28:25 -0800

Push the question about the requirement of RAW devices.. and ask if Veritas's product can work without any restrictions.. The veritas clustered file system is supposedly "ok" to use with RAC where you can take advantage of using file systems. But I haven't seen confirmation of that. also-ask about the differences in the hardware they are showing you as compared to your environment.. There are some differences in the implementation based on the hardware....

You should probably get good feel on how Oracle believes RAC could fit into your environment. Are you looking for 100% availability? Or just scalability? Can the environment take a 5 minute downtime for a Clustering solution? Or do you need to have the environment up "all of the time"... And as Rich indicates-the transparent application failover can be cool. But does your app use JDBC? Thick or thin? From our discussions with Oracle (as we prepare for a full blown POC of rAC) that one will need to use the thick JDBC client (cuz of the OCI layer) to take advantage of some of the TAF features.. This may not be the case in the future though..

oh well-time for coffee....
greg

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com