RE: Is the effect of modifying PCTFREE/PCTUSED immediate ?

From: <John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:08:21 -0800

Well I was sure about it until you had the temerity to question me :) I think we agree on extents sizes not being changed after the event so it is now a discussion on whether changes to a pctfree/pctused are retrospective.

I contend that if a table is fully loaded upto its pctfree/pctused limits and there are no available blocks on the freelist then by changing the pctfree/pctused values no additional blocks will suddenly appear on the freelist.
I do agree however that if a block is amended by having a row deleted or a row updated then the new values come into play and the blockcould then be available on the freelist.

I think I am correct on this but as with anything I am always ready to be proved wrong - it has happened before and wil lhappen may times in the future

John