RE: Agnostic references for Oracle v SQl Server 2000

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_oxhp.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:48:27 -0800

Well, it might be a smart move. From what I see on www.tpc.org, benchmarks on the lower end are usually performed with SQL Server 2000. DBA for SQL Server tend to be much cheaper for the organization then an oracle DBA. You can also get quite a decent support for SQL Server from a 3rd party and the total cost of ownership is very low for one or two PC servers. It is also a decent database, having row locking, hot backups and quite a decent version of SQL. Personally, I learned to love the temporary tables and I consider that logic to be much simpler for the duhveleopers then the Zen of SQL tuning that must be learned by the oracle duhvelopers.
Unfortunately, oracle didn't create particularly user-friendly database on the low end and people are baffled with the variety of options that they don't know or understand. Oracle was developed on the VMS platform and there are still remnants of the VMS influence (afiedt.buf), which means that it was, and unfortunately still is, tailored for the knowledge of an average VMS system administrator, which was, generally speaking, extremely high when compared to the knowledge necessary for successfully managing an NT server.

All that said, NT and Win2k have problems with security and stability. SQL Server is tied to that platform, so I wouldn't use it for 24x7 systems or high level transactional systems which need to process thousands of OLTP transactions per second. That is still oracle/DB2 playground.

Author: Gogala, Mladen
  INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com