RE: count(*)

From: Craig Munday <Craig.Munday_at_ecard.com.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:08:36 -0800

RE: count(*)

Hi,

I've read so many suggestions for making this count(*) quicker but we are all assuming that it is needed and has a purpose in the first place - which may or may not be the case.  Obviously the quickest way to do the count(*) is to NOT do it in the first place.

I'd still like to know the purpose of the count(*) and what verification it is performing?  And also, why are there so many rows being inserted into the table.

Cheers,
Craig.

Author: Craig Munday
  INET: Craig.Munday_at_ecard.com.au