RE: count(*)

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:33:33 -0800

That's certainly a possibility, but it still won't scale. Regardless of whether PQ is used, Oracle will need to do x consistent gets. As the tables grow larger, x will increase. Regardless of whether PQ is used, that number of buffer gets that are required will not change, and the total load on the system will not change (except to increase as the tables grow larger). PQ may reduce elapsed time, but will do nothing for the total resources consumed.

-Mark
On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 16:18, Suri, Deepak wrote:
> I have in the past used parallel hints to speed up a count(*) kind of full
> table scan query.
>
> thanx
> deepak

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
mark_at_bobak.net
"It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it
well."
 						-- Rene Descartes
Author: Mark J. Bobak
  INET: mark_at_bobak.net