RE: Staspack Grapher/Viewer ?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:03:40 -0800

Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 2:55 PM To: 'ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com'

Rich - I think the original poster mentioned Don Burleson's book. Don suggests you take multiple STATSPACK snapshots over time, say every hour for a week, then query the STATSPACK tables directly to, say graph database transactions over time. From this you can identify the peak times your database is being used, either day of week, or time of day. Once you identify the peak usage times, you can drill in deeper to identify the problems in that area, like maybe the waits. You may perform some small-interval STATSPACK snapshots in that time area.   Don presents a simple idea of doing a simple query and then cutting an pasting that into MS Excel. I've done this and you can create some pretty impressive-looking charts very quickly. The drawback is that method is pretty labor-intensive and it is easy to make an error and produce an erroneous chart. I would highly recommend it as a prototype method, or if you are a consultant that needs to quickly produce some impressive charts for your clients.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com <mailto:dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM