oraperf report - 2 queries

From: <John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:50:15 -0800

I have just tried using www.oraperf.com again after about a year since the last time.
The output both in terms of formatting, readability and comment are much improved on what was already a valuable resource Well done Anjo

2 questions that the list (or even Anjo) may be able to answer for me

With regard to processes the report states "Another option is to decrease the init.ora parameter "processes". The LGWR needs to scan all processes to find each process that is waiting for the commit to be written. The current value for processes is 1300. Try setting it close to the number of process that you really need." What I do not understand is that processes is a maximum number so LGWR may have to read all processes that exist but that number is well below the 1300 level but I cannot see an overhead in having the processes set to high in that respect. I do agree that other values are calculated based upon the value of the processes setting and so that is a good reason to reduce the value to a more realistic one of about 500. As a side note Steve Adaams states that there is no negative impact of having too high a processes value (In 8 not necessarily 8i)
(http://www.ixora.com.au/q+a/params.htm

The second point is with regard to recommending the use of a smaller log buffer and a smaller log_io_size (recommended to be 3 times avg redo size per commit).
I was wondering if anyone knows where the current value is recorded. It is not available from V$parameter and I assume it is in one of the X$ views. My log buffer is 4M and the redo log block size is 512 but I am stumped as to the value of _log_io_size ( I think it should be 8192 ie 4M/512)

Thanks

John

  INET: John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk