RE: UFS logging

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 03:08:34 -0800

Bill:

In theory I don;t see any reason for not using UFS logging in file systems. But as far as the performance goes, you will see a slight decrease since the system has to do more work than the normal logging. But your recovery will be very fast after the crash since 'fsck' will be completed in seconds (bypassed??) in UFS logged systems.

On the other hand Oracle Transactions are already logged in the redo logs and you will not see any benefit/performance from the rdbms with UFS logged file systems. But this will definitely help you in speeding up the media recovery, startup-shutdown operations and any type of file transfers.

KG

Author: Bill Buchan
  INET: wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com

Author: K Gopalakrishnan
  INET: kaygopal_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Sep 18 2002 - 06:08:34 CDT