Followup: Apache core dumps after IP address change (solution)

From: Bruce A. Bergman <bruceb_at_fatcity.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:13:20 -0800

Thanks to everyone who suggested ideas for my "emergency" yesterday. The problem only became obvious after a complete reinstall of Oracle on my server. I took this approach after finding a thread on the ODTUG-JAVA-L mailing list that talked about how 9iAS Rel 2 has hardcoded values for the IP address. The thread indicated that there was no way of changing the IP address of a server short of a complete Oracle reinstall. After literally exhausting all other ideas of my own (and needing to get the server back up asap), I reinstalled Oracle 8.1.7 last night on a new partition. Once the default installation finished, everything worked fine.

After restoring my schemas and other configurations, things still continued to work fine. Apache continued to start without core dumping and life was good. The moment I moved my old httpd.conf file back into place, Apache core dumped. Clearly, it was no longer an issue of hardcoded IP addresses, so I started taking the httpd.conf file apart into small pieces.

The culprit was an upgrade RedHat Network passed along to PHP4 and glibc about a month ago. I allowed the PHP4 upgrade and glibc library upgrades to be installed. Apache continued to run using the old libphp4.so module without problem, but the moment I would have had to either reboot the server or restart Apache, it would have died because the libraries had changed. Adding PHP4, BTW, is a custom enhancement I made to the stock 8.1.7 Apache config as I need it on several parts of my server. I found the latest libphp4.so file, moved it into the /u01/.../libexec directory, restarted Apache and all was well with the world again. 17 hours of work later, I believe I have things as they should be once again.

Lesson learned: if Apache core dumps (something I haven't seen it do in years) when restarting after a long period of uptime, then suspect a module/library problem.

Side note: if anyone wants to know every nook and cranny where Oracle stores your IP address and domain names, I can tell you that now. :-)

Thanks again!
bruce

Author: Bruce A. Bergman
  INET: bruceb_at_fatcity.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 17:13:20 CDT