RE: SNP uses 60% of CPU on Windows2000 - please help

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:38:43 -0800

If the end users are not complaining about response time then ORACLE using 99% of the CPU is not an issue. However, I can't help but think that 99% usage indicates some problem, even if it's not having a critical impact.

I'm supporting a Win2K machine that has 7 instances on it. We're using 1160M of 1310M of RAM. We have 2 CPUs and CPU usage is normally at 2%. It currently looks as if we have 96 users logged in to one or the other of the Oracle instances. We have the extra CPU in order to keep the CPU usage from pinning at 100% for extended periods of time. If it did become pinned for more than a few minutes at a time the users would call about the poor response time and I'd be worried that something was wrong.

But environments and business needs vary. We have a few high-rafter bats among our users who want their queries answered NOW. They are willing to spend the extra bucks to make that happen.

                    "Inka
                    Bezdziecka"          To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <IBezdziecka         cc:
                    @cupe.ca>            Subject:     RE: SNP uses 60% of CPU on Windows2000 - please help
                    Sent by: root

                    09/17/2002
                    03:35 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

That was the starting point of entire problem. An IIS administrator came to me complaining that Oracle.exe uses 99% of CPU. Indeed, it does.

What is actually wrong with oracle.exe using 99% of CPU? Every other process shows 00 under CPU and small numbers under time. I am getting to think that I was sent on a wild goose chase.

That web site is up and response time is not worse that it has always been. The server is very slow in processing o/s management requests (starting performance monitor or sql*plus, or something of a sort) - well ...

Thank you anyway.
inka

Author: Inka Bezdziecka
  INET: IBezdziecka_at_cupe.ca

Author: Thomas Day
  INET: tday6_at_csc.com

Author: Inka Bezdziecka
  INET: IBezdziecka_at_cupe.ca

Author: Thomas Day
  INET: tday6_at_csc.com

Author: Inka Bezdziecka
  INET: IBezdziecka_at_cupe.ca

Author: Thomas Day
  INET: tday6_at_csc.com

Author: Inka Bezdziecka
  INET: IBezdziecka_at_cupe.ca

Author: Thomas Day
  INET: tday6_at_csc.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 15:38:43 CDT