RE: RMAN restore to another node

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:28:42 -0800

Johnson

   Their explanation doesn't make sense to me. I have had RMAN fail to get the backup piece, and the error message is very clear.

   Just in case the SET NEWNAME is somehow affecting the recovery, you might take them out just to see what happens. I would also have moved the ALLOCATE CHANNEL below the SET NEWNAME, rather than opening a new set of channels, but then I haven't used SET NEWNAME. I just had my Unix sys admin create mount points named the same as the mount points on the production system.

   Perhaps someone can post an RMAN recovery script that includes a SET NEWNAME, so you can compare. You might also post your recovery script, that might clarify something.

   Also, this is Oracle 9.2, and most of my RMAN practice has been on Oracle 8.1.6.

   Another thought for a test is to backup the production control file separately and then place it where it is needed, rather than have RMAN recover it. I'm just wondering whether you are getting some side-effect from the successful control file recovery.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com <mailto:dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM