Re: Locking Problem

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:38:18 -0800

On 2002.09.14 02:28 Justin Cave wrote:

> As an aside, it sounds to me like you may have problems unrelated to
> locking. It sounds as if you are storing aggregate data like totals in
> tables rather than letting Oracle compute those. If you need to do that
> for performance reasons, I'd strongly suggest that you keep your aggregate
> data consistent by using triggers, not by relying on the application logic.

The other way would be to use materialized views. That way, you can store aggregate values without performance penalty. The price is the fact that the vaules are computed at discrete intervals, not necessarily correct at the time when you query them.
Suman's problem is, that was my understanding, a classic bill problem: bill headers in one table, line items in another one. Whenever two people access two different line items for the same bill, one of them has to wait because the accompanying bill header is locked. That is sometimes resolved by the organization of work, namely having only one person working on any single header ("account managers"). Sometimes, it is resolved by adding another level of indirection ("subheader" or "location grouping") and sometimes, people rewrite such application as a batch application where changes are submitted through an entry table ("input queue"), processed by a batch program (or a set of batch progams, each accessing it's own partition of the input table) and reuslts are stored in another table, frequently called output queue or "status queue". Messaging products (RMI, MQ Series, AQ, TIBCO) are frequently used to communicate between the front end and the background programs, alhough, strictly speaking you can do the same thing with forms or even with COBOL (Completely Outdated Badly Overused Language). Language of choice these days seems to be Java, which was accepted in the corporate world as soon as it's future became increasingly uncertain because of the advent of certain vaporware. If I were to decide, I would standardize on Perl.

--
Mladen Gogala
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net