Re: Snapshot too old error

From: Justin Cave <jcave_at_cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:23:19 -0800

I believe this indicates that your rollback segments are too small-- the data that you selected is no longer available in your current rollback segments. I would *strongly* advise going this route.

I don't believe Oracle has a transaction isolation level which is so non-isolated that it would allow you to read a "next" value which wasn't there when you made the query. I can't imagine a scenario that you'd want to do something like this, but if you did, why not modify the query to select, say, 1000 rows at a time, process them, and then requery for the next 1000 rows. Of course, you may miss some rows or get others twice as rows get inserted, changed, and removed, but that seems to be acceptable to you.

At 08:43 PM 9/13/2002, Pillai, Rajesh wrote:
> I am running a pro*c program which has a cursor which fetches data
> from a table which is constantly being updated by front-end, so I am
> getting "snapshot too old error". My requirement is not to adhere to the
> consistency of the data. I am fine if the data that my program is reading
> is not consistent. How can I ask oracle to not to give me this "snapshot
> too old" error even when the data is consistent/inconsistent.

Justin Cave

Author: Justin Cave
  INET: jcave_at_cableone.net