RE: Another Character Set Problem

From: Ron/Sarah Yount <ronwy_at_SWBELL.NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:23:19 -0800

Scott,

  1. I have to agree with Oracle's statement that you need to have a UTF8 database to handle Chinese and Japanese characters. These characters require multi-byte encoding to be stored and therefore a UTF8 database is the way to go.
  2. I am not sure "where" the Chinese and Japanese characters are stored, but it is quite likely that you will fail to store them correctly in a P1 database.
  3. You can run a utility... Name escapes me that will check your contents to see if changing character sets will result in a loss of current data (this is an oracle supplied utility).
  4. Alternately, you could export the contents of the database and import them into a new WE...P1 database. Make sure that you review metalink docs on setting your NLS_LANG correctly for such imports and exports.

HTH,
-Ron-

Author: Scott Canaan
  INET: srcdco_at_ritvax.rit.edu

Author: Ron/Sarah Yount
  INET: ronwy_at_SWBELL.NET

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Sep 12 2002 - 21:23:19 CDT