Re: SYSDBA privilege with ORAPWD utility

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: 11 Sep 2002 08:28:34 -0400

Hi,

'TRUE' is not a valid value for REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE.

Try:
REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE See:http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76961/ch1155.htm#6449

for more details.....

-Mark

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 08:38, Chindarkar,Chetan wrote:
> Hi List ,
>
> I have Oracle 8.1.5 server on Win 2K machine.
>
> When I try to connect as SYSDBA using SYS account from a remote machine it
> says "ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied". Then I created a
> password file using ORAPWD utility and granted SYS and WIP (a newly created
> schema) the SYSDBA privilege. I also ensured that REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE
> is set to TRUE, but still I can not connect as SYSDBA.
>
> Following are the steps which I took.
>
> Step 1. Created a password file as followed :
>
> D:\Oracle\Ora815\BIN>cd ..\dbs
> D:\Oracle\Ora815\DBS>orapwd file=orapwsb815 password=oracle8i
> entries=30
>
> Step 2. Grant SYS user the SYSDBA privilege by the following method
>
> D:\Oracle\Ora815\DBS>svrmgrl
>
> Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.5.0.0 - Production
>
> (c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Oracle8i Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
> With the Java option
> PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
>
> SVRMGR> connect internal
> Password:
> Connected.
> SVRMGR> grant SYSDBA to SYS;
> Statement processed.
>
> SVRMGR> select * from v$pwfile_users ;
> USERNAME SYSDB SYSOP
> ------------------------------ ----- -----
> INTERNAL TRUE TRUE
> SYS TRUE TRUE
> 2 rows selected.
>
> Pls help me if possible.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chetan

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
mark_at_bobak.net
"It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it