RE: Dev tools for web-based apps

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 15:43:22 -0800

Val,

While Oracle is looking at Java and JDeveloper, keep in mind that Oracle's own ERP package that is extremely huge and complex is mostly written in Forms. It started at F2.0, moved to 2.4 (a special version) and 4.5
(Client-Server) and is now at 6i and is deployed via the web. Oracle,
however, has started using Java a lot and I observe that this trend is on the increase, even within Oracle Apps. The bulk is in Forms still. I would consult with someone at Oracle for the long term plans for Forms. In your situation, I would recommend a mix of the two, as I think that works well in Apps. Fyi, you might look at using the AOL (Application Object Layer) for Apps - I believe you can purcahse/use this module on its own and develop on it.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Disappointments are inevitable in Life, but discouragement is optional. You decide!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com