Re: connect to the databases without using tnsnames.ora?

From: Philip Douglass <philipd_at_sirs.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:38:24 -0800

I use host naming extensively here. We do use tnsnames.ora for our apps so that we can take advantage of failover, but for my everyday work, I connect to the databases with host naming. You don't need a tnsnames.ora to do that OR a complex connect string (which is basically a tnsnames.ora entry rolled up into one line).

When I connect to one of my servers, it is generally like this: sqlplus scott/tiger_at_hostname

This is possible because the listener for each database is listening on the default port (1521) and the name is resolved through the usual suspects for TCP/IP name resolution, in our case, DNS. The listener then receives the request and connects it to the database with the matching global_dbname. Very simple. You just can't use connection pooling, heterogeneous services or application failover with this method.

As for 3rd party products mistakenly requiring a tnsnames.ora file, that is a valid complaint. And it isn't even limited to 3rd party tools. Some of Oracle's own tools only give you the option of connecting to databases that are listed in your tnsnames.ora file, which when using the host naming method is not required!
--

Philip Douglass
Internet Networking Group

I think the best way is to go to SQLNET.ORA and look for the ordering of the
NAME.DIRECTORY_PATH. Remove one by one and you know what is being used. Mostly i think it will be
Name Server.

A query: Is HOST NAMING used widely?

Naveen

Author: CC Harvest
  INET: ccharvest_at_yahoo.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Naveen Nahata
  INET: naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com

Author: Philip Douglass
  INET: philipd_at_sirs.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Sep 06 2002 - 14:38:24 CDT