Re: Question about database and service name

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:04:42 -0800

Ramon,

In the init.ora for the database:

   service_names = servicename1, servicename2, ...

In the tnsnames.ora;

servicename1=

   (DESCRIPTION_LIST=

      (DESCRIPTION=
      (ADDRESS_LIST=

(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=dbserver.yourdomain.com)
(PORT=1521)
)

    )
  (CONNECT_DATA= (SERVICE_NAME=servicename1)))

HTH Jared

"Ramon E. Estevez" <com.banilejas_at_codetel.net.do> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 09/05/2002 09:38 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Question about database and service name

Hi list,

Reading the OU manuals Oracle 9i DBA Fundamentals II , in chapter 2 page 12, found

1-) An oracle database is represented to clients as a service.

2-) A database can have one or more services associated with it.

3-) A database can be presented as multiple services and a service can be implemented as multiple database

       instances.

For the No. 2 :

      I interpret that I can have 2 or 3 or 4 services for just ONE DB. Is that correct ?. How can I do that ?

For the No. 3:

      I interpret that I can refer to the same DB with differents names.

As far as I understand, the DB instance name is unique, it can't be changed. So how can I create several services names for one DB.

Or is just a trick in the TNSNAMES.ORA and LISTENER.ORA files.

Please can anyone give some light in that, I am totally confused !!!

Ramon E. Estevez
com.banilejas_at_codetel.net.do
809-565-3121

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com