RE: Question about database and service name

From: Karniotis, Stephen <Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:35:11 -0800

Ramon:

  Let me try these one at a time.

1.                   True.  To a client desktop or device, a database environment is presented as a service (flooky name).  The service is a TNS Service via Net8/Oracle*Net.

2.                  Using multiple service names within the tnsnames.ora file and multiplexing within the listener.ora file, a database can have multiple service names point to it.  This is common where application-specific code names are used as TNS Service Names.  This is also useful for failover whereas services are on different machines.

3.                  This one sounds like RAC or OPS where the database can be implemented as multiple services and a service is implemented as multiple instances.  In either case, a database instance can only represent one database at a time.  That is why service names must be unique within a specific server.

Hope this helps.

Thank You

Stephen P. Karniotis

Product Architect

Compuware Corporation

Direct:                   (248) 865-4350

Mobile:                  (248) 408-2918

Email:                      Stephen.Karniotis@Compuware.com

Web:                        www.compuware.com

Author: Karniotis, Stephen
  INET: Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com