java stored procedures

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 05:08:21 -0800

This really is my week for asking for help.

We have a project lead/developer here who wants to use a java stored procedure, wrapped in a PL/SQL function, to implement a search function on the site.

Besides the fact that this is the first I've heard of the request, and that I think he is reinventing the wheel in what he wants to do in this procedure (normalize text data that we already GET normalized elsewhere), and that we are supposed to go into QA testing by the end of the month and he STILL hasn't locked down the schema etc....

Personal prejudices aside, I've heard vague rumblings that Java in the database is not optimal. We'll be in 9iR2, although he's developing against an 8.1.7 database (don't ask, I'm not responsible for that database other than to provide him with schema ddl, there IS no real development server here).

Before I categorically say no or yes, are there any "gotchas" I need to look out for?

Thanks

Rachel

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes http://finance.yahoo.com

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Sep 05 2002 - 08:08:21 CDT