Re: Data mining data access

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 09:03:29 -0800

Definitely this is true of SAS and SPSS, but don't worry about those tools not getting used. I've often observed that separating a statistical analyst from SAS/SPSS requires a crow-bar... :-) They'll find a way to get that data, despite incredibly foolish limitations such as 8Kb record-width and 8-char fieldnames...

I imagine that Oracle's old Darwin product (purchased from Thinking Machines) could access relational data directly, but that might be an invalid assumption also. Anyway, Oracle has apparently decided to get out of the business of creating DM/OLAP tools and get into providing the APIs to create DM/OLAP applications with the OLAP and Data Mining options. The reasoning is to embed data from data mining right into that sales-call application, so that the salesperson can see the prospects "score" in real-time within the application rather than having to fire up a separate console.

Sorry for no help, but that's my $0.02. Looking forward to hearing more on this topic...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com