RE: PCTUSED - when is block added to freelist?

From: <Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:33:27 -0800

See Note: 1029850.6 on MetaLink for more details but here is algorithm used for freelist

                                                                   A block is put on free list if
                                                                   the free space in the block is
                                                                   greater than the
                                                                   space reserved by PCTFREE.
                                                                   Blocks linked in a free list are
                                                                   available for
                                                                   future updates or inserts.

                                                                   A block is unlinked from a free
                                                                   list if the free space in the
                                                                   block is not
                                                                   enough to allow a new row
                                                                   insert, and if the percentage of
                                                                   the used space
                                                                   remains above PCTUSED.

                                                                   A block is relinked to a free
                                                                   list if after DELETE or UPDATE
                                                                   operations, the
                                                                   percentage of the used space
                                                                   falls below PCTUSED.

                                                                   Each time a block is added to a
                                                                   free list, it is linked at the
                                                                   head of the
                                                                   chain.

Rick

                    "Miller, Jay"
                    <JayMiller_at_TDWater       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    house.com>               cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     RE: PCTUSED - when is block added to freelist?
                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    09/04/2002 11:03
                    AM
                    Please respond to