Re: OPS Sequences: nocache == order ??

From: Murali Vallath <murali_vallath_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 18:18:21 -0800

I agree with Anoj, you need to talk to the business folks to remove this dependency. Else you may encounter waits/queues on getting the next sequence numbers. One of the benfits in OPS and in RAC is the sequence cache option, because each instance will not have to query the Oracle's fast cache areas for the next sequence or wait in queue to get the next number.

Any ways if you see slowness you now where to look!

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:54:06 -0800

Unfortunately, we have an application dependency and I was required to come up with a quick & dirty fix. Thanks for your reply.

On 2002.09.03 19:10 Anjo Kolk wrote:

> If you run OPS and specify order, it works like no cache.
>
> My question to you: "Why cripple OPS and your business performance by
having
> this requirement ?" Spending a few bucks to get rid of this dependency
will
> improve the performance, until you run in to the next problem ;-)
>
> Anjo.

> On Wednesday 04 September 2002 00:00, you wrote:
> > I'm managing an OPS configuration (4x HP 9000/N, HP-UX 11/64 , RDBMS
> > 8.1.7.1)
> > and I'm having an application dependency on a temporal order of
sequence
> > numbers.
> > With OPS that becomes a problem because each node caches a set of
sequence
> > numbers
> > (20 by default). Oracle has an option, specifically for that situation,
> > namely "ORDER".
> > My question is whether ORDER is the same thing as NOCACHE and whether
it is
> > possible
> > to have a NOCACHE sequence which will return numbers in an incorrect
order
> > (larger number
> > before the smaller one).
> > Please, o OPS gods and godesses, help me out and I'll sacrifice you a
beer
> > when I see you.
> > Mladen Gogala

> Author: Anjo Kolk