RE: automatic segment space management

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:33:23 -0800

The question posed was not whether "extent management local" should be used, but whether automatic segment space management should be used.

As this is a data warehouse, I would not expect you to have transactions trying to change the same block. Assuming you are loading; that is, inserting data and not doing updates, wouldn't you try to cram as much data as possible into a block? Seems this could be done more easily by controlling these parameters yourself

I've got one system using automatic segment space management without any problems, however when I posed the same question on using it a few months ago, the respone which trickled in way highly negative concerning its usage.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 03 2002 - 15:33:23 CDT