Re: Why it picks the same PFile for both the DBs

From: Sunny Verghese <vsgeorge70_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:13:18 -0800

Naven,

  On NT while creating the service (prior to creating the Database) using ORADIM (oradim SID= <> PFILE=<> INTPWD=<>...), one gets to specify which PFILE should be used while starting up (as the default). I am wondering if that is where the problem lies. The good news is that the you can easily enough delete and re-create the service using ORADIM !!

That's my $.02 !!!:-)

 Sunny

Naveen Nahata wrote:

Hi All,
I know the problem is on NT machine, whereas most of the people in the list
are working on UNIX based systems. Still any pointers will be appreciated.
I have a system with 2 databases, both running on the same server.
DB - 8.0.5.
OS - Windows NT
When i connect thru server manager to TEST, and then issue STARTUP, it starts
up the PROD database using the initPROD.ora file.
On querying V$instance it shows INSTANCE_NAME = TEST
On querying V$database it shows NAME=PROD. So the TEST instance is mounting
PROD DB using initPROD.ora
When i connect to PROD and STARTUP, it starts PROD using initPROD.ora
On querying V$instance it shows INSTANCE_NAME = PROD
On querying V$database it shows NAME=PROD. So the PROD instance is mounting
the PROD DB using initPROD.ora

Why is it picking up only initPROD.ora? The following registry parameters are
set! ! ...
ORA_TEST_PFILE - Pointing to initTEST.ora
ORA_PROD_PFILE - Pointing to initPROD.ora
ORA_TEST_PWFILE - Pointing to PWDTEST.ora
ORA_PROD_PWFILE - Pointing to PWDPROD.ora
ORACLE_SID - PROD
Though I can start the DBs easily using STARTUP pfile = 'respective_pfile',
but that is not the thing. The thing is that I'm missing something, and also
that I cannot start it directly through the services.
What am i possibly missing??
Regards,
Naveen

Naveen Nahata
Associate IS
Email: naveen_nahata@mindtree.com
MindTree Consulting Pvt. Ltd.
#42, Block 'A', 27th Cross,
2nd Stage, Banashankari,
Bangalore - 560070
Ph: 91 (80) 6711777/6712777 Ext. 1614
Fax: 91 (80) 6714000
Web:

Author: Naveen Nahata
INET: naveen_nahata@mindtree.com

San Diego, California -- Publi! ! c Internet access / Mailing Lists

Do You Yahoo!?
Author: Sunny Verghese
  INET: vsgeorge70_at_yahoo.com