Re: sga memory leakage

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 06:53:19 -0800

Query V$SGA. Unless you are running Oracle9i, there are no memory leaks in the SGA, because all allocation of memory for the SGA (prior to Oracle9i) occurs at instance startup and then at no other time. Just as in crime investigations, you must have "MO": "motive" and "opportunity". No "opportunity", no crime. In Oracle9i, the "opportunity" does exist because there is functionality to grow and shrink components of the SGA, all under DBA control only. But now, even with "opportunity" in place, you'll have to establish "motive"... :-)

For the other components of Oracle-managed memory, there is the PGA (process global area) and the UGA (session/user global area). Query statistics with the phrases "pga" and "uga" in their name from V$SESSTAT for information about the current memory consumption situation in those areas.

---

Consider also using OS utilities to determine which processes are consuming
more and more virtual memory.  Remember that the shared SGA will be
"counted" as part of the virtual memory image of every Oracle server
process, even though it exists in reality only once, so you have to correct
for that yourself.  If you are running Solaris, the "pmap -x <os-pid>"
utility provides a terrific breakdown of process images into text,
heap/data, and stack;  on AIX, the best utility for the same purpose is
"svmon".  I don't know about the other UNIX flavors...

If you're on Solaris, you can download "oramem.sh" from
http://www.EvDBT.com/tools.htm (script located near the bottom of the page)
to summarize detailed virtual memory information on a specific Oracle
instance's server processes from "pmap -x".  If you're running on another
variant of UNIX, then this script might serve as a potential starting point
for rewrite using the memory mapping utility there.

If you're on Windows, perhaps someone else on the list can help?