Re: select count(*) = 0, select /*+ full(a) */ count(*) = 5227 ?

From: Casey A. Jordan <cjordan_at_imcwv.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:58:25 -0800

I had the same issue in a 8.1.6 database and found that was bug related to the cost based optimizer and materialized views. Never did resolve it but found that the problem occurred when the table in question had a materialized view selecting data from in.

Thanks,
caj

On
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.2.0 - 64bit Production PL/SQL Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production
CORE 8.1.7.0.0 Production
TNS for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.2.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 3.4.1.0.0 - Production

I got a stange result and I wish to find an explanation. Look
I did
SQL> select count(*) from ced_info_mouvement ;  cls COUNT(*)

         0

1 ligne sÚlectionnÚe.

Execution Plan

          0
SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE (Cost=2 Card=1)

          1                  0

  SORT (AGGREGATE)
          2                  1

    PARTITION RANGE (ALL)
          3                  2
      PARTITION HASH (ALL)

          4                  3
        INDEX (FAST FULL SCAN) OF 'MVT_ID_LOT_IDX' (NON-UNIQUE) (Cost=2
Card=24507)

Statistics

          0  recursive calls
        288  db block gets
        120  consistent gets
          0  physical reads
          0  redo size
        203  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
        248  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
          2  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
          0  sorts (memory)
          0  sorts (disk)

1 rows processed

I tryed with and order by on the first column_name, I got the exact number of rows in this table, why ?
SQL> select count(*) from ced_info_mouvement order by IDENTIF_PRODUIT_COMPTABLE;
 cls COUNT(*)

      5227

1 ligne sÚlectionnÚe.

Execution Plan

          0
SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE (Cost=19 Card=1 Bytes=17)

          1                  0

  SORT (AGGREGATE)
          2                  1

    PARTITION RANGE (ALL)
          3                  2
      PARTITION HASH (ALL)

          4                  3
        TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'CED_INFO_MOUVEMENT' (Cost=19 Card=24507
Bytes=416619)

Statistics

          0  recursive calls
        116  db block gets
        246  consistent gets
          0  physical reads
          0  redo size
        206  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
        248  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
          2  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
          1  sorts (memory)
          0  sorts (disk)

1 rows processed

I tryed vith HINTS FULL and I got 5227 rows.

Regards.

NAME                                              VALUE
active_instance_count
always_anti_join                              NESTED_LOOPS
always_semi_join                              standard
aq_tm_processes                               0
audit_file_dest                               ?/rdbms/audit
audit_trail                                   NONE
background_core_dump                          partial
background_dump_dest                          /sscedre/data/sqcedi/admin/log
backup_tape_io_slaves                         FALSE
bitmap_merge_area_size                        1048576
blank_trimming                                FALSE
buffer_pool_keep
buffer_pool_recycle
commit_point_strength                         1
compatible                                    8.1.0
control_file_record_keep_time                 7
control_files
/sscedre/data/sqcedi/disk1/ctrl11sqcedi.ctl,

/sscedre/data/sqcedi/disk2/ctrl12sqcedi.ctl,

/sscedre/data/sqcedi/disk3/ctrl13sqcedi.ctl

core_dump_dest                                ?/dbs
cpu_count                                     4
create_bitmap_area_size                       8388608
cursor_sharing                                EXACT
cursor_space_for_time                         FALSE
db_block_buffers                              3200
db_block_checking                             FALSE
db_block_checksum                             FALSE
db_block_lru_latches                          2
db_block_max_dirty_target                     3200
db_block_size                                 8192
db_domain
db_file_direct_io_count                       64
db_file_multiblock_read_count                 32
db_file_name_convert
db_files                                      500
dblink_encrypt_login                          FALSE
db_name                                       sqcedi
dbwr_io_slaves                                0
db_writer_processes                           1
disk_asynch_io                                TRUE
distributed_transactions                      23
dml_locks                                     500
enqueue_resources                             5000
event                                         10262 trace name context
forever,level 4096
fast_start_io_target                          3200
fast_start_parallel_rollback                  LOW
fixed_date
gc_defer_time                                 10
gc_files_to_locks
gc_releasable_locks                           0
gc_rollback_locks                             0-1024=32!8REACH
global_names                                  FALSE
hash_area_size                                1600000
hash_join_enabled                             TRUE
hash_multiblock_io_count                      0
hi_shared_memory_address                      0
hpux_sched_noage
hs_autoregister                               TRUE
ifile
instance_groups
instance_name                                 sqcedi
instance_number                               0
java_max_sessionspace_size                    0
java_pool_size                                20000K
java_soft_sessionspace_limit                  0
job_queue_interval                            60
job_queue_processes                           0
large_pool_size                               0
license_max_sessions                          0
license_max_users                             0
license_sessions_warning                      0
lm_locks                                      12000
lm_ress                                       6000
local_listener
lock_name_space
lock_sga                                      FALSE
log_archive_dest
log_archive_dest_state_1                      enable
log_archive_dest_state_2                      enable
log_archive_dest_state_3                      enable
log_archive_dest_state_4                      enable
log_archive_dest_state_5                      enable
log_archive_dest_1
log_archive_dest_2
log_archive_dest_3
log_archive_dest_4
log_archive_dest_5
log_archive_duplex_dest
log_archive_format                            %t_%s.dbf
log_archive_max_processes                     1
log_archive_min_succeed_dest                  1
log_archive_start                             FALSE
log_archive_trace                             0
log_buffer                                    5242880
log_checkpoint_interval                       10000
log_checkpoints_to_alert                      FALSE
log_checkpoint_timeout                        1800
log_file_name_convert
max_commit_propagation_delay                  700
max_dump_file_size                            10240
max_enabled_roles                             30
max_rollback_segments                         30
mts_circuits                                  0
mts_dispatchers
mts_listener_address
mts_max_dispatchers                           5
mts_max_servers                               20
mts_multiple_listeners                        FALSE
mts_servers                                   0
mts_service                                   sqcedi
mts_sessions                                  0
nls_calendar
nls_comp
nls_currency
nls_date_format                               DD-MON-RR
nls_date_language
nls_dual_currency
nls_iso_currency
nls_language                                  American
nls_numeric_characters                        .,
nls_sort                                      BINARY
nls_territory                                 America
nls_time_format
nls_timestamp_format

nls_timestamp_tz_format
nls_time_tz_format
object_cache_max_size_percent                 10
object_cache_optimal_size                     102400
open_cursors                                  400
open_links                                    4
open_links_per_instance                       4
ops_interconnects
optimizer_features_enable                     8.1.7
optimizer_index_caching                       0
optimizer_index_cost_adj                      100
optimizer_max_permutations                    80000
optimizer_mode                                CHOOSE
optimizer_percent_parallel                    0
oracle_trace_collection_name
oracle_trace_collection_path                  ?/otrace/admin/cdf
oracle_trace_collection_size                  5242880
oracle_trace_enable                           FALSE
oracle_trace_facility_name                    oracled
oracle_trace_facility_path                    ?/otrace/admin/fdf
os_authent_prefix                             ops$
os_roles                                      FALSE
O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY                   TRUE
parallel_adaptive_multi_user                  FALSE
parallel_automatic_tuning                     FALSE
parallel_broadcast_enabled                    FALSE
parallel_execution_message_size               2152
parallel_instance_group
parallel_max_servers                          5
parallel_min_percent                          0
parallel_min_servers                          0
parallel_server                               FALSE
parallel_server_instances                     1
parallel_threads_per_cpu                      2
partition_view_enabled                        FALSE
plsql_v2_compatibility                        FALSE
pre_page_sga                                  FALSE
processes                                     75
query_rewrite_enabled                         FALSE
query_rewrite_integrity                       enforced
rdbms_server_dn
read_only_open_delayed                        FALSE
recovery_parallelism                          0
remote_dependencies_mode                      TIMESTAMP
remote_login_passwordfile                     NONE
remote_os_authent                             FALSE
remote_os_roles                               FALSE
replication_dependency_tracking               TRUE
resource_limit                                FALSE
resource_manager_plan
rollback_segments                             r01, r02, r03, r04
row_locking                                   ALWAYS
serializable                                  FALSE
serial_reuse                                  DISABLE
service_names                                 sqcedi
session_cached_cursors                        0
session_max_open_files                        10
sessions                                      87
shadow_core_dump                              partial
shared_memory_address                         0
shared_pool_reserved_size                     1600000
shared_pool_size                              32000000
sort_area_retained_size                       800000
sort_area_size                                800000
sort_multiblock_read_count                    2
sql_trace                                     FALSE
sql_version                                   NATIVE
sql92_security                                FALSE
standby_archive_dest                          ?/dbs/arch
star_transformation_enabled                   FALSE
tape_asynch_io                                TRUE
text_enable                                   FALSE
thread                                        0
timed_os_statistics                           0
timed_statistics                              FALSE
tracefile_identifier
transaction_auditing                          TRUE
transactions                                  95
transactions_per_rollback_segment             5
use_indirect_data_buffers                     FALSE
user_dump_dest                                /sscedre/data/sqcedi/admin/log
utl_file_dir
/var/spool/applmgr/sqcedi/common/log
Author: Bernard, Gilbert
  INET: Gilbert.Bernard_at_caissedesdepots.fr

Author: Casey A. Jordan
  INET: cjordan_at_imcwv.com