ROWNUM strangeness?--SOLVED

From: Paul Baumgartel <treegarden_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:23:38 -0800

In my haste, I hadn't noticed that, although the query did not contain an ORDER BY, it did contain SELECT DISTINCT, which causes an implicit ORDER BY. As we all know, ROWNUM is usually assigned when rows are read into the cache, before sorting; thus the order of ROWNUMs in the output is not sequential, and ROWNUM 999 could be the 336th row in sorted order.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes http://finance.yahoo.com

Author: Paul Baumgartel
  INET: treegarden_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Aug 29 2002 - 11:23:38 CDT