strange data format error: ora-01821

From: zhu chao <chaospku_at_163.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:28:18 -0800

hi, list friends:

	I have a oracle 8.1.7.4 database in redhat linux 7.2,which is used to support a development datawarehouse project.Now i hit some strange error message about date format through dblink
	The error only appear in oracle warehouse builder, it cannot be reproduced in sqlplus with the same statement.Query like: select 1 from dual_at_dblink, and it give out error message of ora-1821.If i mannually create the dblink and do the query, it is ok in sql*Plus, and if i try to use the dblink in oracle warehouse builder, it still give out error.I am not familier with warehouse builder.So i refer to this mailing list for help.
	I also tried set event like: alter system set events '  1821 trace name errorstack level 5'

Starting up ORACLE RDBMS Version: 8.1.7.4.0. System parameters with non-default values:

  processes                = 150
  timed_statistics         = TRUE
  event                    = 1821 trace name errorstack level 5
  shared_pool_size         = 81943040
	and there is trace file like:

/oracle/8.1.7/admin/back/udump/ora_1535.trc Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production
ORACLE_HOME = /oracle/8.1.7
System name: Linux
Node name:      dwdb
Release:        2.4.7-10
Version:        #1 Thu Sep 6 17:27:27 EDT 2001
Machine:        i686

Instance name: back
Redo thread mounted by this instance: 1
Oracle process number: 9
Unix process pid: 1535, image: oracle_at_dwdb (TNS V1-V3)

    Some additional information :
bash_profile:
ORACLE_SID=back
ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/8.1.7
export ORACLE_HOME
ORA_NLS=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data export ORA_NLS33
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/lib PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/home/oracle/product/webcache/webcache/bin EDITOR=vi
NLS_LANG=american_america.ZHS16CGB231280 export ORACLE_SID ORACLE_HOME ORA_NLS LD_LIBRARY_PATH EDITOR PATH NLS_LANG

NLS_DATE_FORMAT="YYYYMMDD hh24:mi:ss"
export NLS_DATE_FORMAT

initsid.ora file:
////////
db_name = "back"

instance_name = back
service_names = back
control_files = ("/oracle/8.1.7/oradata/back/control01.ctl", "/oracle/8.1.7/oradata/back/control02.ctl", "/oracle/8.1.7/oradata/back/control03.ctl")
open_cursors = 300
max_enabled_roles = 30
db_block_buffers = 80000
shared_pool_size = 81943040
large_pool_size = 614400
java_pool_size = 30000000
log_checkpoint_interval = 0
log_checkpoint_timeout = 0
processes = 150
log_buffer = 163840
user_dump_dest = /oracle/8.1.7/admin/back/udump db_block_size = 8192
remote_login_passwordfile = exclusive
os_authent_prefix = ""
local_listener = "listener_back"
compatible = "8.1.7"
sort_area_size = 2048576
sort_area_retained_size = 2048576

open_links = 20
parallel_max_servers = 2
timed_statistics = true
event = "1821 trace name errorstack level 5"

/////////////////////////////

sys.props$ table:
  1* select * from sys.props$
SQL> /
NAME                                     VALUE$                         COMMENT$

---------------------------------------- ------------------------------ ------------------------------
DICT.BASE 2 dictionary base tables version # DBTIMEZONE 0:00 DB time zone NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN Language NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA Territory NLS_CURRENCY $ Local currency NLS_ISO_CURRENCY AMERICA ISO currency NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS ., Numeric characters NLS_CHARACTERSET ZHS16CGB231280 Character set NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN Calendar system NAME VALUE$ COMMENT$
---------------------------------------- ------------------------------ ------------------------------
NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD-MON-RR Date format NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE AMERICAN Date language NLS_SORT BINARY Linguistic definition NLS_TIME_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM Time format NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM Time stamp format NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZH:TZM Time with timezone format NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZH:T Timestamp with timezone format ZM NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY $ Dual currency symbol NLS_COMP BINARY NLS comparison NAME VALUE$ COMMENT$
---------------------------------------- ------------------------------ ------------------------------
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET ZHS16CGB231280 NCHAR Character set GLOBAL_DB_NAME BACK Global database name EXPORT_VIEWS_VERSION 8 Export views revision # NLS_RDBMS_VERSION 8.1.7.4.0 RDBMS version for NLS paramete rs ///////////////////////////////////////////// Thanks for your help:)

Regards
zhu chao
Eachnet DBA
86-21-32174588-667
chao_ping_at_vip.163.com
>Eric
> set long 2000
> select text from user_views where view_name = 'MYVIEW';
>
>There are probably more elegant methods, but this works.
>
>Dennis Williams
>DBA
>Lifetouch, Inc.
>dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com