Re:RE: odbc/jdbc question

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 05:18:20 -0800

I think one should remember that JDBC like ODBC is one more layer of software that one needs to go through so that a non native language can talk to Oracle. Pro*C and OCI are both native languages to Oracle and have direct linkability to the Oracle libraries thereby eliminating that extra layer. Having written a program to translate Turbo Pascal data to Oracle I can tell you that the majority of the processing time is just translation. PL/SQL has the advantage of being absolutely native to Oracle as part and parcel of the kernel. Therefore, yes PL/SQL & C should be faster than Java.

Dick Goulet

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date:       8/23/2002 7:13 AM

John

   You've lost me on the relevancy. PL/SQL executes within the database so in theory should run magnitudes of time faster than ODBC/JDBC. C is a programming language, so presumably you are using Pro*C or OCI to interact with the database. Again, your C program can execute on the server, thereby avoiding network delay, and again, running magnitudes faster than ODBC/JDBC. The point is that you need to use whatever tool is appropriate to your situation. If the goal is to allow a Java program to interact with Oracle, then that limits your options. Let me know if I've misunderstood your comment.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com