RE: Moving Oracle 9i / Windows 2000 Database to Red Hat Linux 7.

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:48:37 -0800

Kumar - Generally, export/import expects to be going to a higher level of Oracle. If you are moving the data from 8.1.6 to 9i, then that will present no problems. Going the other way, moving data from 9i to 8.1.6 can pose problems. The usual recommendation is to use the 8.1.6 "exp" program against the 9i database.

    Are the Linux/W2K files binary compatible. I don't know myself, but somebody does. Learn the techniques for cloning an Oracle database. I believe http://www.orafaq.com <http://www.orafaq.com> has a paper on this. If not, just search using Google.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Dharminder Kumar
  INET: dharminder_at_softhome.net

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <http://www.orafaq.com> http://www.orafaq.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Aug 22 2002 - 10:48:37 CDT