RE: Shutdown Immediate Hanging

From: Muqthar Ahmed <Muqthar.Ahmed_at_decoratetoday.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 05:58:33 -0800

Steve,

Recently I got same problem and I have resolved it. This will happen if you setup INITIAL and NEXT extent size very small for TEMPORARY tablespace. Look at the following information:

     http://metalink.oracle.com <http://metalink.oracle.com>  and look for the following DOC ID:
     DOC ID: 61997.1
     DOC ID: 1076161.6

I created new LOCALLY MANAGED TEMPORARY tablespace which handles better than DICTIONARY tablespace:

     CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE temp
         TEMPFILE '/d05/oradata/prod/temp01.dbf' SIZE 2048M
         EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL UNIFORM SIZE 1M;

    ALTER DATABASE DEFAULT TEMPORARY TABLESPACE temp;

Muthar Ahmed
DBA -----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 11:13 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I hope somebody can help me with this shutdown problem. There's 2 questions unless: how to troubleshoot a stalled shutdown and the best way to deal with it.

#1 - Database hangs during shutdown
We have several instances running 8.1.7.3 on Win2k and continue to have intermittent shutdown problems. The shutdown never completes.
Here's are the steps used to stop the database

1.) Stop the application servers
1.) run a kill session script to kill all remaining sessions except the one running the script
2.) issue shutdown immediate and hope it shuts down.

At this point, the database closes but it never dismounts. We never receive the "Completed: ALTER DATABASE DISMOUNT"

Is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem at this point?

After 15 minutes, Arcserve backs up the files to tape (delay field in arcserve job). After the backup is complete, the database startup script is run. The alert log says the startup is normal, but no connections are allowed into the database.

I either have to do a shutdown abort or stop the service and then I can start the database. I wrote a script to detect the shutdown hangs that will page me, do a shutdown abort, startup and then shutdown immediate (before the backup job starts) There's not much I can do when it stalls and I don't mind running the script if it won't corrupt my database. Is there a better way to handle this?

I checked metalink and opened a tar.
Oracle said it was a security dll issue with MS and that I should change the scripts to shutdown the service instead of using svrmgrl or sqlplus. That was fine until I realized that stopping the service will do a shutdown immediate. If the database doesn't complete before the ora_<SID>_shutdown_timeout value, it does a shutdown abort (or equivalent).

Thanks,
Steve

Author: Muqthar Ahmed
  INET: Muqthar.Ahmed_at_decoratetoday.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Aug 22 2002 - 08:58:33 CDT